finished up the fascia and roof patching on the porch. hopefully good enough to see us through the winter.
grampa mike and i cut off the old fascia boards and trimmed back the rotting edge of the roof. then we slapped on some 1×6 paneling we had lying around in the basement to build it up again. again, we had some tar in the basement, so used all 5 gallons to recreate the roof and hopefully point the water somewhat towards the roof drain. then we added some new flashing and capped each end of our castle with a turret. the total cost of the repairs was about $70.
let’s finish with a question…
update: i went ahead and painted it anyway… and coated the roof with premium aluminum roof coating.
the second floor was already uninhabitable when we got the house – witness:
so, we’ll just go ahead and chip away at removing all extraneous material like moldings, shelves, real classy wood paneling, light fixtures, baseboards, and so on… and eventually interior walls that aren’t going to be needed.
craigslist “free stuff” here we come.
had to shore up the porch a little bit to make sure she made it through the winter… easy bits done, now need to remove and replace the front fascia.
cracked cement supports before and after:
missing wainscoting from porch ceiling. hopefully the animals that had been living in there are out. replaced missing boards and trimmed it with some 1x2s from the basement stash.
also shored up the wall by the sidewalk and painted the front door so the house look less abandoned: